Monday, October 12, 2015

Dr Who Sonic Screwdriver, a post with no dolls at all. Except in this title. Oh, darn it.

For years friends have been going on about Dr Who and how great it is, and I tried a few episodes and just could not get into it. I've always had trouble with time travel in books and movies because of the paradox and everything. It's so hard to keep track. Then Dave started watching episodes of the 9th Doctor, and I figured it was worth another shot. I mean, when so many people have raved about a show, there has to be something to it.

David Tennant as the tenth Doctor sold me. I was never a huge fan of his companion Rose, but I liked Martha, and once Donna appeared, I was hooked.

The local chain bookstore had some Dr Who merch on their sale table, so we picked up a customizable sonic screwdriver kit for half price. I snapped together the pieces I liked into a kind of steampunky screwdriver, but it didn't feel like mine until I took it into my workshop and added a red leather wrap to the handle, and used Rub-n-Buff to bring all the different metal colors to a more match-y union.


There's a little flippity tab that I can press to make nine different scanning sounds. My favorite is number four, which sounds like an engine winding up, coughing, and failing. The blue parts at the end light up and flash, which is very fun in a dark house at night. 

We went to the EMP in Seattle to see the science fiction exhibits and it amused me to take my screwdriver out to "scan" things. 

I'm such a geek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment