Sunday, May 12, 2013

My Mom!

'I think it must somewhere be written that the virtues of mothers shall, occasionally, be visited on their children, as well as the sins of fathers.' -- Charles Dickens
   
Today in America, it is Mother's Day: the day where breakfasts of cold toast and slightly spilled juice are served in bed to mothers who later have to change the sheets that are full of dribbles and crumbs -- an extra chore brought on by their children's affection. 

My mother, always a practical woman, told me that she could not abide breakfast in bed; that sitting up with her legs straight out was an uncomfortable posture for eating. As far as I recall, my brother and I never presented her with an opportunity, so everyone came out a winner in that regard. Fistfuls of dandelions in water glasses, yes, by the score. I mean, we have to hold up some tradition. 

You guys should meet my mother. She's quite amazing, really -- and I'm not just saying that because she's my mom. That's where I get it -- my creative ability, I mean -- from her. She is always making stuff or trying something new. Sewing, knitting, quilting, embroidery -- and that's just the start.  She made cheese once, and dandelion wine (not from the ones in the water glasses), and she refinished furniture. She gardens, she bakes -- I can't think of anything she's ever tried that didn't turn out. 

And she made fantastic children. I mean, look at me; I'm terrific! 

So in honor of the day, here's my blue-ribbon mother:


White-on-white quilting -- I wish the detail could be seen better in that piece. She's very talented! And she did it all without the internet, folks. Think of that! 

I love you, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment