Monday, March 5, 2012

Blue Linen Blues

The blue linen kirtle is all done but for the hem and embroidery -- oh, and the eyelets for lacing. And I'm not happy with it.

When I cut the 6 skirt panels, I took the measurement I needed for the top and doubled it for the bottom. I figured this would give me enough hem at the bottom to swing around without being overly generous. I didn't take my hip line into consideration. Or, rather, I didn't do the math to see if the widening gores would be enough to flare over my hips. It's a bit snug through the waist and tush, is what I'm saying.

An option would be to make a few gores to set in, and that would be what I'd do, but the only remnant I have left of this linen is a 10"x 40" strip -- not enough.

Another thing that's disappointing is the side seam where I meant to put the lacing: it doesn't match up with the skirt seam, thanks to a planning mishap when I cut the skirt panels. I thought about stitching it shut and then putting the lacing on the other side. The seam doesn't match up there, either, so in order to do that, I'd have to put in a facing and I'm not sure how that would look. And it's hard to work up the enthusiasm to do that when the fit is so snug-and-not-in-a-good-way.

Last option: lose about 20 pounds and it'll fit like a dream. The seams still won't match up though, so the lacing will be wonky.

Man my phone camera does weird things with color. This poor dress looks so drab and grey, when actually it's a very nice dark navy blue. Go figure.

I think this is a project I'll fold up and put away for a while. I'll get the bad taste out of my mouth with something new, and maybe someday I'll come back to this dress with some fresh ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment