I made a patch to repair the rigging, making sure to match the original stitching holes onto the patch, which is not easy!
|Stitching is not complete in this picture!|
And that's when I found out the tree (the wooden frame of the saddle) had a chip cracked off it. Dave assured me that epoxy would make it as strong as ever, so that's getting glued and clamped before I put everything back together.
I washed each piece of the saddle with Ivory soap and warm water, then oiled them with pure neatsfoot oil. After letting them rest and absorb for the night, I began working in a light application on Lexol leather treatment morning and evening. After three days, they're looking pretty good!
|Top : after washing and 3 days of conditioning; Bottom, filthy nasty piece not done yet.|