Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Doublet of Dave ... for now.

The doublet got "done enough" this morning at 2:30. The wool buttons were the sticking point; figuring out how to make/making those took over an hour and a half. Ugh.

The original design plan was to make "hinges" of leather to serve as button plackets across the front, but once it passed midnight, I just wanted to get it wearable so I could go to bed. (Work in the morning at 6!) I made a fingerweave braid of brown and white and stitched it along the front seam, leaving loops to act as buttonholes. It made a nice finish, and is easily removable when I have time to re-visit the doublet and finish it the way I originally planned.

And yeah, I know what you're thinking. I did forget the epaulets. But I can add them later too.

No comments:

Post a Comment