Monday, February 27, 2012

In which I grumble about seams.

I'm working on a simple Norse tunic for Dave. The fabric we chose is a brown wool tweed that is a little different from the other wools I've worked with in that it frays. I did the seams with a simple running stitch and then went over them on the outside with a bright red straight whipstitch, which looks very bright and pretty. Colorful over-stitched seams are very common in this style of garment.

The amount of fraying that is going on inside this tunic is unbelievable. Once I finished the overstitching, I knew I was going to have to finish the seams inside and I was mad at myself for not doing my usual flat-felled seams beforehand. See kids? This is what happens when you take shortcuts.

Since the 1/2 inch seam allowance I originally left had frayed down to half that, I decided the best way to deal was to turn them under and hemstitch them. Ever try to fold 1/4 inch into 1/8 of an inch and sew? It's not easy. In fact, it's pretty miserable work. I'm trying to think of some other way that I can neaten these seams and stop the fraying without going completely mad while doing it. You can see that some of the frayed bits are already poking out again.

As a last resort I will make iron-on tape from interfacing and ribbon, and cover the seams with that. No one will see, right? But until then, I'm open to suggestions..?

No comments:

Post a Comment