Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sewing Day!

Kind of a misnomer; to me, every day is sewing day. But in terms of the local SCA group (Barony of Glymm Mere - http://www.glymm-mere.org/) today is a fine day to all meet up, our various projects in hand, and talk and eat and sew and show off et cetera.

I have Dave's tunic to embroider, and his Rus pants to make, and he is eagerly awaiting their completion. So why am I sitting here thinking of other things I could take instead? I'm itching to take up scissors to cut a new dress from some blue linen I picked up. There's a martingale collar for Josie that I want to embroider and assemble. I have a super-secret project that I have been planning for most of a year and finally have the materials to start (and you'll see that posted here once I begin; I'm excited to show it!). They all seem more attractive ideas than fighting with the frayed tunic of frustration. But I'll not give up!

One of the things I'm proudest of in this sudden sewing interest that took over my spare time only a year and a half ago, is that I have managed to complete almost all of the projects I started. The reed corset and my red cloak are still on hold, and there was that sottana effort that I finally just chucked in the trash (and how freeing was that?!) but otherwise, every project I have cut out and filled with pins has become a part of my wardrobe. And that, my friends, is a freakin' miracle, I hope you agree.

In other news, I picked up some spools of heavyweight thread at thrift yesterday. I got two spools of black and one of red, which is fortunate because I have upcoming projects that need those colors. The spools are large and made of wood, and one of the ones holding black thread is dyed red, which is awfully jaunty. In the bag with them is a cardboard reel holding 100 yards of 1/8 inch pale aqua rayon taffeta ribbon. No plans for that, yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment